Cryptozoology forums > General Cryptozoology > Main lobby > view thread
Mount Rainer foothills Washington state bigfoot picture
posted Thu, Aug 18 2011, 6:47pm
Can anyone give me any more details on a picture taken by a Forest patrol officer July 11,1995. This picture has a bigfoot looking up at him. It was taken at Wild creek at Mount Rainer foothills Washington state
Re: Mount Rainer foothills Washington state bigfoot picture
posted Fri, Aug 19 2011, 1:07am
We haven't talked about these photos for a while.

Look closely at the photos, and tell me what you see.
posted Fri, Aug 19 2011, 2:04am
besides the pose being identical in both pics, even it taken right after another, any animal would have at least followed the person with their head/ eyes. Another peculiar thing I noticed with the second picture was the conspicuous absence of the tree reflection that is clearly seen in the first picture, as the angle didn't change enough for that to be out of view, based on the rest of the surroundings.
posted Fri, Aug 19 2011, 5:42am
Duckweed, grass and lilly pads. If that's a 7 foot tall bigfoot, I'm Claudia Schiffer.
posted Fri, Aug 19 2011, 12:27pm
There are quite a few issues with those pictures.

1) It looks cropped. What do the originals look like? Also, was this taken with a Forest Service camera or a personal camera?

2) Where are the footprints from it milling around the bank?

3) These were taken in a creek, right? For such a large creature that moved between pictures, there is no water displaced from the movement of the animal. What was the creature doing immediately before the photos were taken? Standing perfectly still for 5 minutes? My guess is that they weren't taken in any creek, but in a sump, helipond, mosquito factory. There are quite a few of these in the forest, many man-made, and it fits better than a creek. I've seen them anywhere from ten feet across to a few hundred feet across. I mean, let's face the fact that the water is just not moving at all. And almost every image on Flash Earth shows it to be a fast-moving creek.

3) I have a feeling that the photos were taken at different times of the day. The distance between the shadow of the tree and that rock is different for each picture. It's not a big difference, but it's big enough. Realistically the time between each picture would have to be extremely small, rapid fire. Unless...Position model, take picture, reposition model, take picture. I figure it probably took him at least 15-20 minutes to reposition the model, reposition himself, move the model's head slightly, and take the picture. This short time span would account for the slight, but noticeable difference in the shadow.

4) The reflection of that white tree should be easily visible in both. There are also two leaves that are hubcap-sized.

5) Back to the camera...No way to get around this, he had to be using a hefty zoom for it to be real. Those usually only came on good cameras. A slight change in lighting between the photos goes from a good photo (1st) to a terrible photo (2nd). A good camera just wouldn't/shouldn't be affected that drastically by a slight change in lighting. So...he wasn't using a zoom. He was much closer to the object...meaning it was significantly smaller than a 8' monkey.

And it should also be mentioned that Crook is a sculptor who has make bigfoot statues and taken pictures of them in this fashion before. I guess we could have put that sentence first, deleted the rest, and still come to the same conclusion.
posted Fri, Aug 19 2011, 2:01pm
I agree, save that in the two images I linked to, I don't believe the model was repositioned. I appears that the photographer moved a little to his right.
posted Fri, Aug 19 2011, 8:53pm
Ahh it loaded this time. LOL that photo was debunked years ago as Rangoon has stated. I can't believe there are people out there that still believe this is real. But then again I should say it doesn't surprise me at all some people will believe anything no matter what.

Joe
posted Sun, Aug 21 2011, 10:16pm
I've seen some things even scientists debunked and are wrong. Each person needs to see to believe or not to believe. I personally always look and decide for myself rather then to rely on others to. Thanks for the input
posted Sun, Aug 21 2011, 9:37am
It looks like that as the photographer moved, so did the head, slightly. I could be wrong though. In the end, it doesn't matter in the slightest. Hypothetically, if he did move the model's head, was he stupid enough to think that would be the one thing to make us all believe it was an actual animal?
posted Fri, Aug 19 2011, 8:36pm
Got a link to the other photos of models he took? Would like to see those, and his other sculptures. And, I am a sculptor, if I ever take a legit(not saying his is)photo would it be disregarded because of that? Just wondering.....
posted Fri, Aug 19 2011, 8:44pm
Hoaxer Cliff Crook promoting Phony Photo, again
posted Fri, Aug 19 2011, 9:43pm
I am familiar with those photos, didn't know he was behind them. You would think he would make them all look like the same creature, instead of vastly different. Thanks for the link.
posted Fri, Aug 19 2011, 11:37pm
I can't say how the guy thinks, but the theory about him wanting to create an iconic bigfoot photograph sounds pretty reasonable.
posted Sun, Aug 21 2011, 10:19pm
Good point I'll keep considering your input but for now I'm searching for truth on the picture. Still am going to keep an open mind.
posted Tue, Aug 23 2011, 2:41pm
If you're waiting for him to admit he hoaxed it, it'll never happen. Too legally troublesome for Mr. Crook. If you're waiting for someone to prove it to reasonably be a hoax, re-read my post or do a Google search, as the first bazillion links are people disproving it beyond any doubt.

What about this picture and the man behind it makes you think there's a chance it's of an actual bigfoot?
posted Wed, Aug 24 2011, 10:33pm
I guess we'll really never know thanks for the details
posted Mon, Aug 22 2011, 2:58pm
Oh my,that flash earth view of Washington State saddened me as it reminded me of the dangers of clearcutting as opposed to scatter harvesting. You can see clearcut forest damage in action here.
Under the forest lie layers of dirt:

Humus soil (dark rich black dirt on the upper surface)
Topsoil (greyish, more rocks and sand)
Subsoil (even more pale and sandy and rocky)
Clay or bedrock (you've hit rock bottom)

1) When an area is clearcut, the detrius, roots and dead, rotten logs provide life to forest floor plants, fungi, animals and grasses for a month or so up to a year or two, then when those plants die off, rain and wind clear their remains. During this first stage it looks like someone's lawn from the air.

2) The uppermost layer of dark dirt or humus soil goes first as soon as there is no cover such as living or dead pant matter which is also replenishing it. Tough weeds and grasses hold onto the remaining topsoil for as long as they can survive on what's left in it. This hurts the chances for the forest to grow back quickly on the same spot. From the air it is starting to look a little more grey and patchy.

3) Then the dwindling remaining dead plant matter washes away or is eaten, eventually killing off even the heartiest opportunistic plant life and then when there are no plant roots, the rest of the topsoil erodes away, exposing the subsoil, which is too low in nutrients for the forest to bounce back with any rapidity. From the air it now looks very grey and mangey.

4) The subsoil erodes down to iron-rich or red subsoil, close to the bedrock or clays. WIthout interference, large tracts of clearcut land will result in this type of iron-red subsoil badlands seen in the upper left reddish area. From the air it looks like the color of the subsoil or bedrock, reddish or purple hued grey dead areas.

I have marked the stages on the aerial view from Tony's link with 1 through 4. These stages can happen over months sometimes going to badlands in less than a year after being clearcut, or it can take years. Recovery of even just a tiny clearcut patch can take a human lifetime or longer. The stages all blend into one transition in reality, they are more related to the soil horizons and broken down for us to understand how bad it is. Click link to LARGE version of the image or see small version I uploaded to this site:
Clearcut erosion image (click here).

posted Tue, Aug 23 2011, 10:51pm
Here in Michigan, I've seen clear cuts that turned out just fine. In a few years, we had good second growth forest which is great hunting cover. Is the process you describe peculiar to Washington or mountainous terrain?
posted Wed, Aug 24 2011, 10:21am
Here in NH I've seen plenty of clear cuts that in five you wouldn't even notice if you didn't know it had been clear cut previously. I know that some mountains that have their tops clear cut can't for some reason regrow new trees.

Mt Monadnock here in NH comes to mind, in the middle to late 1800's the whole mountain top was set abaze to get rid a a sizable wolf population that lived there. It still is bare to this day. I don't know why the tree's never regrew, though it probably doesn't much matter now considering the amount of radio, cell phone, and other towers that litter it now.

I think it may have something to do with elevation and soil erosion which left just bare rock. I know of a few areas that were clear cut some 20 years ago and now there are a variety of pine, hemlock, and hardwood trees. These areas are so thick now you would never know they were clear cut. Then again NH is the second state on a list of states with the most trees, just behind Maine according to the Smithsonian Institute.

Joe
posted Wed, Aug 24 2011, 10:50am
I know that one time in the 19 century, much of Michigan was ravaged with forest fires and yet is a heavily forested state. That's not to mention the clear cutting that was done to establish farms. Now many of those older farms have reverted to forest land, so I was wondering if that problem was confined to certain geographic areas or conditions.
posted Mon, Sep 5 2011, 12:52am
It is particular to a set of soils and subsoils which wash away after clearcut deforestation which lead to desertification, making the reforestation a more difficult process.
posted Mon, Sep 5 2011, 9:39pm
Okay. Thanks for the info.
posted Wed, Sep 21 2011, 4:21am
Some old growth forests on shallow bedrock can go to "desert" quickly in the right set of factors. The Pacific rainforests on volcanic mountain slopes are vulnerable, whereas a piece of clearcut land in Pennsylvania or Florida might bounce back fast because the rich soil and subsoil run deep and the settler/first plants are more robust.
posted Sun, Aug 21 2011, 10:03pm
I see the things that other's say make it hard to accept as far as the creek background images but I don't think you can count this out as a phony. As for me I'm going to keep researching this picture and keep an open mind whether or not it's faked. Don't think it's fake but all I want is the truth?
posted Fri, Aug 19 2011, 1:25am
Sorry Karl the photos wouldn't load for me. I remember walking out of the house and having Mt.Rainier looming in front of me as I sat on the porch. It was a beautiful way to start the day. That was back in the early 70's when my stepdad (who was in the Navy) was stationed in Bremerton in the Puget sound area. Lovely state, one of my favorites I've lived in over the years.

Joe
posted Fri, Aug 19 2011, 11:57am
There shouldn't be a problem, I'm only linking to the Sasquatchpedia site.
posted Fri, Aug 19 2011, 9:57am
Here's the picture.

posted Fri, Aug 19 2011, 10:27am
Is that an original Beast Man figurine???

Bas - "I HAVE THE POWER!!!"
posted Fri, Aug 19 2011, 11:04am
Moss Man, which I think was a modified Beast Man. It smelled like one of those pine-scented tree air fresheners. I had one when I was a kid and these hoax pictures always reminded me of it.
posted Thu, Sep 8 2011, 1:09pm
You're right, the beast man figurine was orange.

Bas - good times
posted Fri, Aug 19 2011, 10:58am
That is a famous photo of a figurine resembling bigfoot. Debunked years ago when certain people noticed that the plants in the back ground were way too big. See peege's post on that.

Cliff Crook famous hoaxer and photographer of miniature figurines.
posted Mon, Aug 22 2011, 10:02am
As peege allready pointed out, one does not need to go any further then DUCKWEED
posted Mon, Aug 22 2011, 1:15pm
Thanks but this one decides for himself how far to go. And PJ got the whole duckweed thing from McCall if you recall
posted Mon, Aug 22 2011, 2:27pm
Also the birch leaf "lilly pads". Can I help that I have an excellent memory?
posted Mon, Aug 22 2011, 3:50pm
You can't nor can I Peege...GRINS

Close Window