Cryptozoology forums > Science > Education > view thread
How to become a Cryptozoologist?
posted Mon, Aug 16 2010, 10:00am
I would really like to become a cryptozoologist. I will be graduating High school in two years. Unfortunatly I haven't found a collage that has cryptozoology as an opption yet. lol, Does anyone know where I could find some information on what type of degrees I would need, and how to get into this career field? Or collage recomendations. Any legit info would be most appreciated!!! Thanks Guys
Re: How to become a Cryptozoologist?
posted Tue, Aug 17 2010, 11:35am
No crypto courses in the world. It's not an academically recognised science.

However you can't go wrong with a zoology or biology degree. The people in the field currently finding unknown species, usually have at least one of these degrees.
posted Tue, Aug 17 2010, 12:34pm
Some colleges offer the option to make your own, and name your own, major or degree. I know Vassar does this. Naturally it needs to be approved by the Dean but how it works is you select a number of courses that apply to the field/degree you are looking to create and you attach a label to it. So you could, in that case, take a number of zoology, biology, and mythology courses along with whatever prerequisites there are and basic classes are also required. Some colleges do offer classes concerning cryptozoology, but not degrees.

Also, keep your grades up and focus on your studies. Best of luck to you.
posted Tue, Aug 17 2010, 3:07pm
It's pretty much a self bestowed title. A real cryptozoologist would be a zoologist or biologist who establishes themselves, through hard work as a legitimate scientist, and then branches out into the study of things rumored but unproven.

No one claiming the title of cryptozoologist has ever produced a cryptid. They have produced volumes of speculative information and TV documentaries.

The most famous cryptid proven to be real would be the giant squid which was legendary for several thousand years. It is real and does validate the field of cryptozoology imo. This organism, which is no longer a cryptid since it is proven, is studied by marine biologists.

Study hard because hard work when your young pays unforseen dividends in the future.
posted Thu, Aug 19 2010, 9:07am
Google Tom Biscardi. He's a real Cryptozoologist. Follow his history and you'll find that people who claim the title tend to be liars, salesmen and attention whores.

All it takes is to tell people that you're a Cryptozoologist to be one.
posted Mon, Sep 20 2010, 11:03pm
If I was actually looking to make a living from cryptozoology I would pursue it from the creationist angle. That museum in Kentucky seems to be raking in a ton of money and might be talked into dropping some coin for the chance of having a living dino on display. Hope this helps.
posted Mon, Nov 1 2010, 9:15pm
Don't let the cynics get to you,

It's true that cryptozoology is not YET a recognized science, but headway is being made to establish it as such. There ARE avenues you can pursue to reach your goal,

I'm sure Dr. Meldrum and Dr., Henner Ferenbach (et al) would bristle at being compared to Tom Biscardi. But "Skeptics" love to harp on the failures and overlook the successes in this field. Sonegative talk like that should be "water off a duck's back" to you.

Follow your dreams. Your destiny will be found in whatever it is that you think about before you go to sleep at night and what is the first thing you ponder when you get up in the morning. Bot to mention what you conider thourghout the day.

Let the cynics have their drepressions. You enjoy your high and let the "skeptics" be damned. In the scheme of things their negative opines mean nothing.
posted Sat, Nov 27 2010, 8:12pm
What was wrong with the advice I gave? In the real world people have bills to pay to keep a roof over their head and except in extremely rare cases being a cryptozoologist pays zero.

I believe that getting involved with the YEC community and looking for living dinos might be one of the few ways to actually make a living at it if you get the backing of a group like Answers in Genesis.

I am only a skeptic of people in your field because of the behavior of people in your field. Your reaction to another swamp ape hunter on that program was really pretty telling. Was that the crucifix sign you flashed at the mention of his name?

Some good advice would be honesty here and advise any young kids to hit the books and follow an actual scientific pursuit like marine biology, they also have a much better chance of cataloging an unknown animal that way.
posted Tue, Nov 30 2010, 7:03pm
Crucifix sign?? While Dave and I don't agree on research methodologies, we ARE friends and cordial with each other. In fact, I just spent two days in Ochopee with Dave filming for our new eTV channel.

What the DC editor didn't include was that Chuck and his handlers tried to precipitate a "smack-down" between professionals and my "Don't go there" was taken out of context.

Dave is aware of this and it's become quite a joke amongst his staff at the Skunk Ape Research Center.

There are many people in my field. I know many who would resent and bristle at your global characterization. It certainly doesn't apply to all. Creationists on the other hand are VERY predictible -- as you illustrate quite well.
posted Tue, Oct 11 2011, 4:01pm
Dr's Henner and Farenbach(sp) are NOT cryptozoologists, and would take offense if you called them one! They each have their REAL ACADEMIC achievements behind them, and are perfect examples that you must have an ACADEMIC background to be taken seriously in this field. If you want to be a cryptozoologist, all you have to do is call yourself one.
posted Tue, Jul 8 2014, 7:14am
I thought Drs Henner and Fahrenbach were the same person? I've mailed hair samples to a person seemingly with those two names as a first and a last.

And it's easy to claim to be an expert in a field nobody totally understands, the trick is just do the bookwork and the footwork, others will eventually define you for you, trust me lol.

I've turned down the term Expert alot, and Cryptozoologist quite a few times. I just do what I do and it involves believing in weird mysteries, investigating, and occasionally proving them wrong.

These days all ya need is a book or two, a radio or tv show, maybe a few letters after your name, and a cult following. Drop a few colleague names, evince a casual familiarity with peers in the field, and maybe even a distinctive style of dress for a visual gimmick. What many of them lack, however, is convincing evidence.

I'm hopeful the research itself survives and outlasts these archetypes.

Close Window